Slinging noodles...

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Swedish Princess Cake Tasting

I had no idea what Swedish Princess Cake was until someone brought in one from Copenhagen Bakery in Burlingame for a coworker's birthday - absolutely stunning dome of smooth, delicately tinted marizpan. That smooth seamless look - beautiful. OMG, I looooove custard. And raspberry jam. And whipped cream. And cake. And I like me a good marzipan. I was inspired by a local taste test so I decided to see who makes the best Swedish Princess Cake (IMO) in the Bay Area. I'm starting my own SPC (Swedish Princess Cake) taste test. Yay!

__________________________________________________________________


Schubert's (San Francisco, CA) - second candidate in the Swedish Princess cake taste test. I had grabbed the last piece of the princess cake before closing at Schubert's and before meeting my friends at Spices II. Eaten one day later.



Decoration: 7/10 - Slightly haphazard chocolate squiggle, plus on the fresh raspberry, pale marzipan (ok, I'm just being really picky)
Gold/White Cake: 5/10 - Too dry and crumbly for my taste.
Whipped Cream: 8/10 - Nice and light. Not overwhelming.
Custard: 5/10 - No flavor even with the thick layer.
Raspberry Jam/Liqueur: 6/10 - A bit too sweet.
Marzipan: 6/10 - Too sweet marzipan with little pronounced almond flavor. A bit too soft. Sadly, if someone was iffy about marzipan, this would tip them over into the yuck category.

Overall: 6.16/10 - I wanted to like this version so badly, but I was so disappointed by this showing. I will try this again, however, as I may have gotten a stale just-before-closing piece.

__________________________________________________________________

Copenhagen Bakery (Burlingame, CA) - I had bought a slice intending to consume it in house, but was sidetracked by my mom's Napoleon. Subsequently took it home and ate it two days later. Still excellent after at least 2 days.



Decoration: 9.5/10 - Beautiful chocolate decoration, lovely spring green marzipan, perfect profile of defined layers
Gold/White Cake: 9/10 - Moist and delicate.
Whipped Cream: 8/10 - Nice and light. Maybe a bit too much of it in the cake though.
Custard: 9.5/10 - Delightful custard flavor. Strong enough to be custardy, light enough not to overwhelm the whole cake.
Raspberry Jam/Liqueur: 8.5/10 - Sweet, thin layer. Good raspberry jammy flavor.
Marzipan: 8.5/10 - Not overly sweet marzipan with wonderfully strong almond flavor and aroma. Not too chewy or too squishy or worse - too grainy.

Overall: 8.92/10 - The standard I will compare others with. Yup. This was fabulous, even 2 days later!!!

__________________________________________________________________

Swedish Princess Cake Rankings:
1. Copenhagen Bakery (Burlingame, CA)
2. Schubert's Bakery (San Francisco, CA)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home