Egg custard tarts
A coworker and I were discussing her wedding plans and we started talking about variations of the wedding cake. (I'm rather partial to a sansrival top tier since it freezes so darned well! Sansrival is a Filipino dessert cake consisting of buttercream layered between cashew meringue.)
Anyway, we were thinking wedding cupcakes are a really cute idea (and rather trendy right now) but what would top wedding cupcakes?!?!
Dun dun dun...I present:

Wedding egg custard tarts (dan taat)!!!! =D
Just tiers and tiers and tiers of custardy goodness! From flaky crusted to shortbread crusted to Portuguese-style with the browned sugar topping...YUM! I'm rather partial to the shortbread crusted egg tarts rather than the flaky crusted ones (i.e. Golden Gate Bakery) - too messy! Ok, piping hot custard tarts from GG Bakery DO rock...but their lines suck.
This idea had me thinking the whole day at work. Can we airbrush or sprinkle sugar in the "double happiness" character on the tarts or would the sugar sink into the jigglyness? IF the sugar looks funky, we can torch the tops and make them kinda Portuguese-style! What size? The tiny ones have too much of a crust:custard ratio and the huge pie-sized ones tend not to be silky and have too much of a custard:crust ratio. From The Girl Who Ate Everything, bakeries in NY have flavored dan taats as well...hmm...interesting! We can decorate each tart with edible flowers...
Also, I've had many a disgusting and/or truly awful tasting wedding cake...but how many have had a truly awful dan taat? Mediocre, yes...but godawful-spit-into-napkin fricking bad? Nope.
Mmm...cuuuuuussttttttttaaaaaaaaaaaardddd....*Homer drool*
Anyway, we were thinking wedding cupcakes are a really cute idea (and rather trendy right now) but what would top wedding cupcakes?!?!
Dun dun dun...I present:

Wedding egg custard tarts (dan taat)!!!! =D
Just tiers and tiers and tiers of custardy goodness! From flaky crusted to shortbread crusted to Portuguese-style with the browned sugar topping...YUM! I'm rather partial to the shortbread crusted egg tarts rather than the flaky crusted ones (i.e. Golden Gate Bakery) - too messy! Ok, piping hot custard tarts from GG Bakery DO rock...but their lines suck.
This idea had me thinking the whole day at work. Can we airbrush or sprinkle sugar in the "double happiness" character on the tarts or would the sugar sink into the jigglyness? IF the sugar looks funky, we can torch the tops and make them kinda Portuguese-style! What size? The tiny ones have too much of a crust:custard ratio and the huge pie-sized ones tend not to be silky and have too much of a custard:crust ratio. From The Girl Who Ate Everything, bakeries in NY have flavored dan taats as well...hmm...interesting! We can decorate each tart with edible flowers...
Also, I've had many a disgusting and/or truly awful tasting wedding cake...but how many have had a truly awful dan taat? Mediocre, yes...but godawful-spit-into-napkin fricking bad? Nope.
Mmm...cuuuuuussttttttttaaaaaaaaaaaardddd....*Homer drool*

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home