Slinging noodles...

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

El Farolito SSF - Part 3

South San Francisco, CA

Another Monday, another visit to El Farolito to lift the spirits. I've had the grilled chicken taco before so I decided to try a grilled chicken regular burrito ($3.75) and a chorizo taco ($1.70). I'm just working down the list of available meats minus brains.



The chorizo taco was just an greasy load of greasy meat. Ugh...my stomach did not feel so good after this taco. The grease had soaked through both corn tortillas and onto the wax paper and foil. Yeesh...the chorizo was bland and grainy - so unsausage like. =( I gave my brother the other half. I'll just have to note NOT to order chorizo ever again at El Farolito. I love all sorts of sausages...just not this one.



Ah, the grilled chicken burrito. After my first bite, I decided that I should stick with pork or beef at El Farolito. My mom agreed as well...and my brother thought it was good (but then again, he's a 19 year old vacuum cleaner). Here's the breakdown:

Tortilla: 8.5/10
Grilled chicken: 6.5/10 - Soooooo bland! Ugh...still edible and not the worst I've ever had.
Beans: 9.5/10 - Great as usual.
Salsa: 7.5/10 - For some reason, it was a bit undetectable. This burrito needed some moisture.
Rice: 9/10 - Not too moist or too overwhelmingly flavorful. Not too much this time.

Overall: 8.2/10 - Scored a bit higher than I expected for this burrito. The great beans could not save this burrito from mediocrity and a bit more salsa could have masked the blahness of the chicken. I'll stick to the bovine or porcine from now on in burritos.

Oh, before I forget. I find that the SSF El Farolito's salsa verde really changes by chef/salsa-maker. I've had pretty bland salsa frescas and salsa verdes with slightly strange tastes at this location, BUT I've had some well-balanced spicy salsa frescas and creamy, spicy salsa verde as well. Monday marked the best salsa verde I've had at SSF's El Farolito since I've been patronizing this restaurant.



Though not the most appetizing photo, believe me, this was one mean green salsa. Creamy bodied through mashed avocado and most importantly, it had a nice spicy kick. Mmm...now only if they can be consistent with their salsas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home